SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

From:
Kate Douglas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 11:31:21 +1000
Just released . . .

The latest feature from M/C Reviews

        &#8220;Must See Reality TV&#8221;

The feature is on-line at http://www.api-network.com/mc

Below is a brief summary of its contents:

Editorial: Reality TV and its Realist Angles. By Kate Douglas and
Kelly McWilliam

Reading Survivor: A Primer on Media Studies. By Kevin Howley

Big Brother: Sign of the Times. By Maarten Reesink

Not Very Tempting: A Season with Temptation Island. By Kristen Schilt

The moment of pleasure: Changing Rooms. By Karen Gai Dean

&#8220;I cannot thank you enough for selecting me&#8221; (and rejecting me?):
Survivor II and its &#8216;elimination confessionals&#8217;. By Kate Douglas

Interacting with Reality TV. By E. Sean Rintel and Susan McKay

Celebrities and &#8216;Real&#8217; People, Contrivance and Authenticity on
Survivor. By Holly Forsythe

Narrating Encounters With the Police: World&#8217;s Wildest Police Videos.
By Ann Johnson and Ted Prosise

Rich and the Male Language of Success. By Jessica Livingston

Surviv-ing Women: &#8220;Bitches&#8221; Voted Off First. By Amanda Putnam

The 'Reality' of Television's latest Gendered Genre. By Sal Renshaw

A New Spin on the Corporate Jungle: Survivor. By Kathryn Goldie

How Real is Real? By Vida Zorah Gabe
Live from the Ministry of Truth: Reality soaps return to the early
promises of live television. By Lawrence Hill

Reel Pleasures: Exploring the Historical Roots of Media Voyeurism and
Exhibitionism in the USA. By Bilge Yesil

  --- Send the right message ---

        + Today freemail +

Get your free, private email address at
       http://www.today.com.au