SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 1

From:
Sandy Camargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 12:37:11 -0500
Having had two friends who were harassed beyond endurance by our so-called
Immigration Service (which should be called the "anti-Immigration Service),
I would sign any petition to reform this organization, which I feel is an
embarrassment to this country. It is one thing to have rules, but it is
another thing to be unable to communicate those rules effectively and to
change the rules arbitrarily. It is one thing to be suspicious of filthy
foreign terrorists and another thing to treat every alien with callous
disrespect.

My husband has developed a theory of bureaucracy: all bureaucracies can be
measured by two things: how good they are at getting you the information
and forms that you need, and how insistent they are that you have all your
ducks in a row. German bureaucrats, for example, are sticklers for your
having everything you need, but they are unsurpassed in making sure that
you have it. The Italians, pace Ms. Monti, are horrible at getting you what
you need, but shrug their shoulders if you don't have everything in order.
The French combine the worst features of both: they are sticklers who are
horrible at making sure that you have what you need. Stop nodding and
laughing: Where do you all think the US stands?

Cheers,

Sandy Camargo
Visiting Instructor
Department of English