SCREEN-L Archives

April 2001, Week 3

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 07:37:10 -0500
ScreenSite maintains a list of film/TV programs in colleges throughout
North America--with direct links to their Websites:

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite/teach/schools/filmTV.htm

Brown does have a degree program in Modern Culture and Media, but it's only
a Bachelor's.  It explains its degree offerings on its Website:

http://www.modcult.brown.edu

"Though we do not have a graduate degree in MCM, we do offer graduate
instruction to doctoral students in a number of departments, among which
are English, American Civilization, Comparative Literature, German, French,
and Art History."

I suspect the Ph.D. program you've heard of there is in English.

And NYU's Ph.D. program is in its Dept. of Cinema Studies:

http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/cinema/

I can't say for certain, but I don't know of any Massachusetts colleges
that offer a Ph.D. specifically in film.

Best of luck in your search.

>Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:00:03 -0400
>From: Stephen Brophy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Film Studies PhD programs in New England?
>I'm having a little research problem - I'm looking for schools offering PhD
>programs in film studies (or media studies with crossover to psychology
>and/or literature) in the New England area, and have not fared very well
>either on the web or in two libraries (MIT and Cambridge Public). PhD
>programs don't seem to get listed - schools like NYU and U Wisc had MAs
>listed but not PhDs... And the Peterson's Guide on the Web gave me 7
>schools, one of which (Emerson College) definitely doesn't have a PhD
>program - Those I know about so far (in all cases my knowledge is extremely
>imperfect) are Brown and Yale (although in which departments to find film
>studies I haven't yet ascertained) and maybe Wesleyan, Northeastern, Boston
>U, and U Mass Amherst. Having failed to find this info in other formats, I
>now come to the place where I knew the answers were all along. Please help
>me.
>Stephen

Jeremy Butler
The second edition of TELEVISION: CRITICAL METHODS AND
APPLICATIONS arrives in bookstores August 2001!  More info at:

http://www.TVCrit.com