SCREEN-L Archives

March 2001, Week 5

From:
Darryl Wiggers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:13:44 -0500
> Check out any film school, film festival and 95% product is terrible. There
> is a reason for this and the secret does not lie in just an hour.

Sodenbergh also points out that he can only teach the rudimentary. The rest
requires talent. As to why film school and festival films are largely
awful... well, I think a good story can survive even the worst execution.
Unfortunately not enough credit is giving to the writing. The best
filmmakers recognize its importance.