SCREEN-L Archives

March 2001, Week 5

From:
Scott Andrew Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 13:29:01 -0500
I recently saw a production of Ntozake Shange's play _For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow Is Enuf_ and
that's an example of a brilliant script handled by a poor director.  The actors, several of whom had impressed me in previous shows,
all had their moments, but it didn't seem all together.  The sad thing is, people who found this production disappointing (Nuvo
Newsweekly gave the show 1 1/2 stars, though it, too had nothing bad to say of the script) might blame the script, since plays are
always regarded with the playwright over the director for obvious reasons, when it was clearly not the script at fault.

Scott