SCREEN-L Archives

March 2001, Week 3

From:
Reagan Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:18:39 -0500
No I don't think so either though as Scott mentioned there are some noir
moments, especially in the use of shadows, the opening sequence, and the
Til Two bar scene (and shadings of the alienated and estranged hero in both
Charlie and Uncle Charlie). The later scene, and something similar to this
question, is mentioned prominently in Robin Wood's essay "Ideology, Genre,
Auteur" (in _Film Theory and Criticism_) where he sees film noir residing
in small town genre films such as _Shadow_ and _It's a Wonderful Life_ and
then how this tellingly reflects and results in ideological contradictions.

Best,
Reagan