SCREEN-L Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
silvia fernandez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:38:05 -0800
Again, I intervene as a student. I didn't react in the
"so what?" way to _Citizen Kane_. In fact, if it is
contextualized, you can see how much it meant in its
time, just like _Birth of a nation_. The gut reaction
from your students might come from looking at the film
with 21st century eyes.

Moreover, it is an excellent film to exemplify
raccords and different montage techniques. Maybe it's
not a matter of showing the whole film in class, but
just bits and pieces with very specific purposes and
then let the students see all of it on their own and
discuss it later, if necessary.

Silvia Fernandez