SCREEN-L Archives

March 2001, Week 1

From:
Screening the past <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 16:41:43 +1100
Issue number 12 of the on-line journal Screening the past is now available
at:

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/www/screeningthepast/

Edited by guest editor Adrian Martin, and labelled Auturism 2000, this is a
particularly large issue.

---

In the First release section you will be able to read:

Sign your name across my heart, or:"I want to write about Delbert Mann"
(editorial) by Adrian Martin

Auteur desire by Dana Polan.

Reading, culture, and auteurs by Tag Gallagher.

Lois Weber, or the exigency of writing by William D. Routt.

Will and wilfulness: recent commentary on Hitchcock's The birds by Ken Mogg.

The Un/forgiven Director by Tim Groves.

Collaboration, influence and complexity Zarathustra's gift in Tarkovsky's
The sacrifice by Gino Moliterno.

Fassbinder, and Fassbinder/Peer Raben by Roger Hillman.

A pleasure to watch: Jane Campion's narrative cinema by Sue Gillet.

All lost in wonder: Edgar G.Ulmer by Tag Gallagher.

James Toback and The pick-up artist by Brad Stevens.

The sound of knocking: Jacques Becker's Le trou by Jodi Brooks.

---

In the classics and reruns section we feature:

Tarkovsky, or the burning house by Petr Král. Translated by Kevin Windle.

Luminous blows and unforeseen encounters: an introduction to Petr Král by
Adrian Martin

Germaine Dulac and newsreel: 3 articles by Germaine Dulac. Introduction by
Siân Reynolds.

---

And, as usual we feature an extensive list of reviews:

Roger Bell reviews Robert Burgoyne, Film nation: Hollywood looks at U.S
history.

Mervyn F. Bendle reviews R.L.Rutsky, High technê: art and technology from
the machine aesthetic to the posthuman

Ina Bertrand reviews Michael Putnam, Silent screens: the decline and
transformation of the American movie theater , and Annette Kuhn & Jackie
Stacey (eds), Screen histories: a Screen reader

David Boyd reviews John Belton (ed.), Alfred Hitchcock's Rear window, Lloyd
Michaels (ed.), Ingmar Bergman's Persona and Nick Browne (ed.), Francis Ford
Coppola's Godfather trilogy.

Colin Crisp reviews Lucy Mazdon, Encore Hollywood: remaking French cinema.

Anna Dzenis reviews Kent Jones, L'Argent.

From 'social practice' to post-independence: remembering the worlds of
independent film by Sylvia Harvey , a review of Margaret Dickinson's, Rogue
reels: oppositional film in Britain, 1945-90.

Gabrielle Murray reviews Lester D. Friedman. (ed),. Arthur Penn's Bonnie and
Clyde.

Michael Powell reviews Pauline B. Rogers, The art of visual effects:
interviews on the tools of the trade.

The spoor of the Woozle by William D. Routt, a review of Richard Abel's, The
red rooster scare: making cinema American, 1900-1910.

Meredith Seaman reviews Diane Waldman and Janet Walker (eds.), Feminism and
documentary.

Ben Taylor reviews David Sutton, A chorus of raspberries: British film
comedy 1929-1939.

FINALLY the issue features our "Trailers" section with information about
conferences, jobs, calls for papers, and new titles listing.

The journal features a search engine which allows for searching of all
articles on the site, along with searches of the trailers and reviews
sections.

P.

---
Dr Peter Hughes