SCREEN-L Archives

February 2001, Week 4

From:
Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:16:32 -0500
From Norm Holland ([log in to unmask])

The 2001 International Conference in Literature-and-Psychology will take
place at the University of Cyprus in Nicosia, May 15-May 20.
You can  register at <http://www.clas.ufl.edu/ipsa/2001.htm>.

As ever, we invite papers that use psychoanalysis or other psychologies to
address literature, film, or othr arts such as photography, dance, or music.  We
welcome the participation of both scholars and mental health clinicians.  Papers
can be of any length, but limit your abstract to 150 words absolute maximum and
limit your presentation time to 20 minutes.  If you wish, we will consider your
paper for the PSYART journal.

Cyprus is the third largest island in the Mediterranean, with Neolithic
archaeological sites dating from 6000 BCE.  The island has been divided since
1974 into a northern, Turkish part and a southern, Greek part, the latter a
major tourist destination.  We will be in the Republic of Cyprus, the Greek
part, in Nicosia (Lefkosia), which boasts Venetian fortifications and an
outstanding collection of archaeological materials in the Cyprus Museum.  Our
feminist conferees might appreciate that in ancient times the island was sacred
to Aphrodite.  Today, continuing that tradition, it is celebrated for "fun in
the sun" at the coastal resorts.  Also, outside of Nicosia/Lefkosia, there are
unique Byzantine church frescoes in tiny monasteries in the Troodos Mountains.

We will be going at one of the best times of year to visit Cyprus, and we will
be
staying at the 5-star Hilton.  (You can get a look at it at
<http://www.hotelbook.com/static/welcome_01300.html>.)  The hotel is a 5-minute
walk from the campus of the University of Cyprus where we will be holding our
meetings.  We anticipate temperatures of 60-85 degrees F or 15-30 C, and the
hotel is air-conditioned.

Please register and send us your registration fee and abstract quickly.  Because
of the May dates, our schedule is very tight.  Registrations will have to be
final (note that we cannot refund if you cancel) by March 15, and the conference
will begin on May 15.

For a complete registration, we require three items:

   1) registration form (see our web site:
<http://www.clas.ufl.edu/ipsa/2001.htm>)
   2) brief abstract of paper (150 words maximum)
   3) check for $125 made out to GAP-INTERNATIONAL

Transportation:

You can fly from Athens to Cyprus (Larnaca) via Olympic or Cyprus Air.
There are also daily flights from Paris to Larnaca via Air France, and
flights from other European capitals such as Rome.  We are trying to
arrange transport from the airport to the hotel.

Tentative schedule:

May 15: Arrival.  Reception 7:30 pm.
May 16: plenary address, morning meetings, afternoon tour
May 17: morning and afternoon meetings
May 18: morning and afternoon meetings
May 19: morning meetings, wrapup, afternoon tour, evening banquet
May 20: morning departure

Housing:

The conference will take place at the University of Cyprus campus. We will be
housed in the Hilton Cyprus, five minutes walk from the University.  We have
reserved 20 singles and 20 doubles.  Cost is 55 CYP for a single and 65 CYP for
a double room.  At present exchange rates (Cyprus pound = about $1.62 US) that's
$90 or $105.  Updated confversion rates can be obtained from
<http://www.xe.net/ucc>.  The price includes buffet breakfast, service charge,
tax, VAT, and access to the  pool, tennis and squash courts.

Contact :

Yiannakis Georgiou

Hilton Cyprus
Archbishop Makarios III Avenue
PO Box 22023
1516 Nicosia, Cyprus

FAX:  011 (from U.S.) 357-2-376101

You will need to fax a photocopy of a credit card to hold your reservation.

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite