SCREEN-L Archives

February 2001, Week 2

From:
Peter Lunenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:11:38 -0800
I'm writing a piece on the myths of interactive cinema and was wondering if
anyone on SCREEN-L might be able to steer me towards interesting literature
and/or examples that I might use. Grahame Weinbren seems to me the dominant
voice in the theory of an interactive cinema, and I'm aware of the work he's
published and nurtured at Millennium Film Journal over the past decade. I've
also read all of Lev Manovich's work, and have a copy of the recent issue of
Convergence about Cinemas Past and Future, edited by Ross Harley. As for the
prehistory of this idea, I've got a good handle on the expanded cinema
concepts and even the proto-histories of VR with Morton Helig and the like.
What I'm really wondering is whether I'm missing more recent film studies
work relating directly to the notion of an interactive cinema. I'm also like
to hear from any of you about your students's, especially production
students', interests in interactive cinema. Does anyone bring these ideas up
in class, are students making interactive narratives around a cinematic
model, are they even interested in the concept of interactive narrative at
this point?

Peter Lunenfeld
Graduate Faculty | Media Design
Director | Institute for Technology & Aesthetics (ITA)
Art Center College of Design
1700 Lida Street | Pasadena, CA 91103