SCREEN-L Archives

February 2001, Week 1

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 14:09:34 -0600
Mikai Gershovich requests:

> Can anyone recommend several novels or books of poetry having to do with
> movies. I'm particularly interested in works of literature having to do
> with film spectatorship.

A colleague of mine, Richard Robbins, has a new book of poems dealing
with movie and other celebrities: FAMOUS PERSONS WE HAVE KNOWN
(Spokane: Eastern Washington University Press, 2000)

Some others:
THE MOVIEGOER, by Walker Percy
THE BLUEST EYE, by Toni Morrison
NATIVE SON, by Richard Wright (when Bigger goes to see TRADER HORNE)

If you're really ambitious, there's Thomas Pynchon's GRAVITY'S RAINBOW
(and VINELAND, if you're a bit less ambitious)

Hart Crane's "Chaplinesque"
References to Chaplin, the Marx Brothers, et al. in poems by the Beats,
such as Ginsburg and the late Gregory Corso

KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN and BETRAYED BY RITA HAYWORTH, by Manuel Puig

Of course, there are many "behind the scene" novels about Hollywood,
but Nathaniel West's THE DAY OF THE LOCUST might be the most germane.

Don Larsson