SCREEN-L Archives

December 2000, Week 1

From:
Thomas Morsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 12:49:12 -0000
Dear list members,

I am currently preparing a seminar on >Love and intimacy in the movies<
due to take place next summer. While I am aware of a vast range of
literature on sexuality in the cinema, it seems difficult to find
anything on _Love_. Not a popular topic for scholarship, I suppose,
although it is very popular in the movies.

Anyways, the seminar will be based on the historical analysis of the
semantics of love by german sociologist Niklas Luhmann, but I am still
looking for suggestions along the following lines:

- literature (books, essays) from film studies that deal with the topic
of love not in a purely generic perspective (e.g. "love" as part of
melodrama, like in Mary Ann Doanes book on women's movies); I am aware of
a couple of essays by Robin Wood on Before Sunrise, by Masud Zavarzadeh
on the ideology of love and intimacy, by Thomas Wartenberg's book on
Unlikely Couples, but I did not find much more yet. I am also looking for
essays who pay attention to the importance of love in the work of
particular directors/films like Antonioni, Truffaut's Antoine
Doinel-films, etc.

- eminent literary, philosophical, etc. works on the topic of love (like
Martha Nussbaum's _Love's Knowledge_, Roland Barthes' book an love in
Werther, Julia Kristeva's book on the histories of love, etc.) - there
might still be some interesting literature around that I missed.

- last but not least I am looking for suggestions of important films as
far as the topic is concerned: films that deal with love in a particular
way, films that develop a certain - even philosophical - idea of love,
films that present 'non-hegemonic' relationships (e.g. homosexual
relationships, relationships between adults and children,
pseudo-relationships from afar between fan/star, etc.) as an alternative
to hegemonic ideas of love, or films that, on the contrary, seem to be
emblematic for society's predominant ideas about love and intimacy (at
least in a certain historical period).
I am also looking for interesting documentary (like Pasolini's Comizi
D'Amore) and maybe even avantgarde/experimental films that deal with the
topic of love.

Right now any suggestions are very welcome. And thank you very much to
anyone who is giving it a thought.

Thomas Morsch
Film Dept.
Freie Universitaet Berlin