SCREEN-L Archives

November 2000, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Arnt Maasø <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:53:31 +0100
>Does anyone know when the practice of dubbing foreign films started? I've
>had a hard time tracking information down, and am writing on the subject.
>Everyone has the sense that it's a postwar phenomenon....

Foreign films from the POV of whom? Norway never started dubbing, but
began subtitling in September 1929, roughly the same time as most
other small European countries; and about the same time France,
Germany and Italy started dubbing. But my hunch is that you're asking
about the US. In which case I have no clue (except that it seems
reasonable that it's a postwar thing).

Arnt ;-)