SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 4

From:
Alan Ainsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:32:00 -0500
TheNewJournal.com, a soon-to-launch online literary magazine, seeks
  proposals for and/or completed essays considering the poetic work of
  Vassar Miller.

  Deadline for proposals: January, 2001; completed essays: February,
2001.

  We are particularly interested in essays that place Miller's work in
  relation to the tradition(s) of American poetry and in essays which
  consider the spiritual and religious aspects of her work in a rigorous
  and informed manner. Writers might consider her (dis)connection to
other
  contemporary writers, and we are not averse to the potential of some
  biography.

  About Us:
  TheNewJournal.com publishes literary criticism, poetry, fiction,
  reviews, and new media electronically. The editors desire work which
  pushes the boundaries of convention, form, and thought. We want
writing
  that crafts an action of its own, that is vigorous and impeccable. We
  accept submissions throughout the year.

  Speaking critically, some other topics of interest are:
  - The intersection of analysis, rhetoric and poetry or creative
  production (particularly with a Lacanian or post-Lacanian sense of the
  term analysis)
  - Examinations of the work of Mark Van Doren
  - Manifestations of the sacred as in contemporary literature
  - Examinations of the notion of electronic literature
  - Rhetoric & Literature
  - Topics in Film
  - Media studies
  - Various aspects of performativity
  - The history of memoirs/an examination of contemporary memoir
  - Essays considering any aspect of the work of Diane Williams,
Clarence
  Major, Wanda Coleman, Francis Ponge, Elizabeth Bishop, Donald Antrim,
  Lorrie Moore, Albert Goldbarth, Richard Kenny, H.D, William Burroughs,
  Christa Wolf, etc.
  - Topics in/of the visual arts and music.

  We are also interested in incisive, coherent, and compact reviews of
  recent books.

  Send 3 to 5 poems, one or two short stories, or one essay. If you
submit
  by traditional mail, include an SASE for reply.  If you desire to
submit
  reviews or art you should first query by e-mail.  E-mail submissions
are
  encouraged.  Send all correspondence to:

  e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

  Mark Hiebert, Editor
  TheNewJournal
  P.O. Box 667426
  Houston, Texas  77266-7426

  http://www.thenewjournal.com

  Replies will generally be made within four weeks.