SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 4

From:
David Skreiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:07:39 +0200
> Chris Ames requests:
>
> >I'm wondering if anyone out
> > there can think of other films made from multiple short stories woven
> > together.  I know there are some films of Poe stories that divcide a feature
> > film into three segments, but I'm thinking more of Altman's particular
> > approach of using several stories by the same writer as the source for a
> > screenplay.  I'm not interested here in films that are made from a single
> > short story, of which, of course, there are many.  Thanks for your help,

The films I'm listing here are not based on actual
short stories nor really written by just one author
AFAIK, but do consist of several narratives that
intertwine (in the Landis films) or follow one
after the other (Four Rooms):

John Landis [co-] directed two such films - both very funny comedies:

Amazon Women on the Moon (1987) - Sci-Fi spoof with comical
intermezzos with several US comedians (Arsenio Hall, Steve
Guttenberg) and star cameos (Michelle Pfeiffer, BB King,
Russ Meyer, Henry Silva). Lots of metafiction and genre jokes.
http://us.imdb.com/Details?0092546

Kentucky Fried Movie (1977) - Series of strange sketches.
http://us.imdb.com/Details?0076257

There's also:

"Four Rooms" (1995) consists of four stories directed by,
respectively, Allison Anders, Alexandre Rockwell,
Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino. Tim Roth and
Bruce Willis show up in this one.
http://us.imdb.com/Details?0113101

Regards,
Dave Skreiner