SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:40:28 -0400
So long as the course is restricted only to enrolled students  and NOT
publicized on campus, you can show whatever you like. THe "face to face"
teaching exemption in the US copyright law permits you to show films in
classes but this does NOT extend to " educational" screenings that are NOT
part of class or limited to the enrolled students. Alas are neighbors to the
north are not so lucky and under Canadian copyright law, all films shown in
classes must have Public Performance Rights.

Now as for how instructors are dealing with these issues, not very well if
you ask me. They will often try to use the "face to Face" exemption to
permit cable broadcasts, open campus screenings and a variety of not legit
activities. Please remember that the "face to face " exemption is specific
and has NOTHING to do with "fair use" and the famous " but we are not
charging admission" makes NO DIFFERENCE. Not to sound like a broken record
but the screenings HAVE TO BE LIMITED TO THE CLASS

Regards

jessica Rosner
Kino