SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
BARBARA BAKER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 17:06:12 -0500
A reply to Peter Brown:  You raise some interesting concerns.  I show films under the idea of "Fair Use" for copyrighted materials in a classroom setting.  We have to show videos or DVDs because renting films is prohibitively expensive (and we don't have the facilities to show them).  MOst we've purchased (either individually or through the library).  Others we rent.  In addition, I usually show different films each semester.  It is more work for me in preparing materials, assignments, exam items, etc.  However, it also has advantages, esp. in keeping students from cheating on their assignments.

But I don't know is this is an adequate solution. I'd be interested in hearing other ideas on handling copyright concerns.

Barbara L. Baker
Professor of Communication
Central Missouri State University
Warrensburg, MO. 64093