SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 3

From:
Ed Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:04:11 -0400
on 8/18/00 8:49 PM, Andrew Albert J. Ty at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> p.s. Incidentally, I just noticed Ed's email address. You're the John
> Carpenter fan
> from Cine-L, right?

Alas...I've been discovered, though I can only hope that my secret is safe
with you.

I've had a wide variety of thoughts while reading the responses to my
initial question, but will only share one main one here.  Perhaps I should
clarify my example.  The class was an introductory level Film Appreciation
class, one taken by a wide range of students to fulfill one of their
elective requirements.  While I would never dream of dropping Do the Right
Thing from an advanced course on Race and Film (or even providing an
alternate, as those students are generally in it for the duration, so to
speak, and have chosen film as an area of specialization at the very least),
providing a workable alternative to illustrate ideology in film on an
introductory level certainly doesn't seem to me to be a violation of any
sort of code of academic freedom.  I tend to agree with those who have
argued for context, and honestly wonder who gains from what I consider to be
a far more hostile (and, in many ways, defensive) approach advocated by some
of the recent responses.

...but that gets into our definitions of what it means to be a teacher, an
entirely different thread, to be sure.

Ed