SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 3

Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:34:35 -0400
i don't want even to begin to address ed owens'
wonderfully provocative question about offesnvely
provocative films [or other materials] used in a
classroom setting . . . i simply want to suggest
tht while sudent sensibilities must obviously be
a central consideration for anyone who takes
teaching seriously, ANY answer to ed's question will
inevitably have repurcussions for other areas in
which student sensibilities might be at risk . . .

specifically:   what do we do about issues such
as evolution with students whose religious beliefs
make such issues offensive? . . . similarly, may we
talk about freud to students whose lives include
a serious investment in the notion of soul? . . . and
how about teaching gay lit or film to those who
find the very idea an abomination? . . .

i'm not sure i see how we can readily distinguish
between teaching gay materials to the homophobic
on the one hand and teaching sexually explicit
materials to the prudish on the other . . . at
some point sensitivity or "political correctness"
comes into conflict with academic freedom and
intellectual integrity . . .

so what do we do? . . . this is a much more complex
problem than ed's apparently innocent question seems
to suggest

mike frank