SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:33:27 -0500
Stephen Tropiano requests:

> I was curious if anyone has suggestions for an alternative film.
> More importantly, I am considering tying in something about the new
> voyeurism in our culture (i.e. reality shows, "The Real World,"
> and webcams/internet).

Maybe it's because it's Convention Week, but Haskell Wexler's MEDIUM
COOL was prescient about some of these issues. Also check Coppola's
THE CONVERSATION.

It might be interesting to look at the Dogma Manifesto and some of its
products--THE IDIOTS or THE CELEBRATION. You can find more on these
and the Manifesto at:
        http://www.dogme95.dk/

Even though it's not a terribly good film, ADDICTED TO LOVE is in the
voyeuristic vein and does offer a twist on the classic PYCHO/PEEPING
TOM setup, while trying to be a romantic comedy.

Finally, the recent Almereyda version of HAMLET with Ethan Hawke is a
surprisingly effective "post-modern" blend of media and the Bard.

Don Larsson

Donald F. Larsson
English Department, AH 230
Minnesota State University