SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 3

Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:09:27 -0700
   I am a graduate student and I must agree with Mr. Morsch..."No one is
forced to join my courses and all students are grown-ups - so I see no
reason to restrict my choice of films to PG-rated movies. Especially, this
would make impossible to teach anything about pornography, horror or similar
genres."
   I'm offended that my education might be limited by fellow students who
have sensibilities that are easily offended. I don't always agree with the
viewpoint of the film being shown, and sometimes I leave after a screening
upset by the film. That's a good thing. Films are suppose to make you feel
different emotions. Some films are suppose to offend us with their use of
graphic violence or explict sexual scenes. Film classes are suppose to
educate us, by showing only films that are politically correct we are
placing limits on education. I feel that is wrong.
Patricia Reiko Shawe

> Dear all,
>
> as a teacher at a german university, it is interesting for me to follow
> this discussion and to learn about the differences concerning teaching.
> Actually, I was surprised by the fact, that american teachers have to
> take such issues into consideration while planning a course.
> Concerning this issue I would take  a strong stand for academic freedom.
And it would also exclude films by

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite