SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 23:40:04 -0400
>four sections: one section on African American film, one on Hispanic American
>film and one on Native American film and the last section on a little bit of
>everything else.  The idea is too look at some ethnic groups in more depth

I don't know if there's some reason for those choices but you might also
keep in mind Yiddish films (J. Hoberman wrote a very nice history and
there's plenty of other literature in addition to several on video) and
Asian-American (not just Wayne Wang and the independents but the increasing
visibility of immigrants like John Woo and Ang Lee among dozens in
Hollywood).  By "American" do you mean United States?  Because issues of
race and ethnicity have been a major concern of Brazillian films since the
60s at least and seem to be important in films from Mexico; there's also
the interesting issue of French-language films in Canada.  Black films of
course have an extensive literature and a fair amount available on video
(though Charles Burnett's early ones aren't and are very difficult to see;
I've heard that there are only two or three screenable prints of "Killer of
Sheep").  Are you planning to use documentaries or only fictional films?

LT

Adventures In Sound
http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/adventures.htm

Full Alert Film Review