SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

From:
Adam Wathen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:56:03 -0500
The quote was in Newsweek's "Overheard" section March 30, 1992.

"I say too bad about foreign films. If they can't make it, tough. I stopped
going at the same time I threw away my black turtleneck . . . I went to
those Bergman things and felt bad, and felt good about feeling bad, and the
'80s was good medicine for that."
Former secretary of education, WILLIAM BENNETT, on why foreign films don't
succeed commercially in the United States

Adam.

At 09:00 AM 08/02/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 8/1/00 11:28:31 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
><<   The quote was made sometime in the 1980s or early '90s (at
>   least that's when I read it) and it was made by a
>   Republican political figure.  (If memory serves it was made
>   by a member of Reagan's administration, maybe James Watt or
>   Dick Cheney, but it might also have been made by someone in
>   the legislative branch like Newt Gingrich.)  This person
>   said (in a paraphrase):  "I used to watch Ingmar
>   Bergman films like everyone else in the 1960s but they made
>   me depressed so I stopped.  Now I'm not depressed any
>   more.") >>
>
>It was definitely William Bennett who horribly was the Secretary of Education
>at the time. It was either in Newsweek or Time and I believe the quote also
>mentioned black turtleneck shirts and coffee houses. Sorry, I can't be more
>definite, but it was a memorable read at the time. I still blame Reagan for
>the death of college film societies!
>
>Dennis Doros
>Milestone Film & Video
>
>----
>Screen-L is sponsored by the Telecommunication & Film Dept., the
>University of Alabama: http://www.tcf.ua.edu

Adam Wathen
Reference/Gov Pubs Librarian            (402) 280-2978
Creighton University                    [log in to unmask]
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178