SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

From:
Thomas Morsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 14:00:04 +0100
Dear all,

this is a question to all of you who teach film at universities:

Do you consider it legitimate to teach a course on national cinemas of
countries whose language you don't speak so that you will not be able to
give any attention to the dialogues in their original language? Or do you
consider this a violation of academic standards? So, as an example, would
you teach a course on New German Cinema only if you speak german or would
you dare to just rely on english subtitles in your own understanding of
the films?
I am asking because I think about teaching a course on asian cinemas but
I am very unsure about this project as I do not speak nor understand any
asian language.

Thomas Morsch
Film Dept.
Freie Universitaet Berlin