SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 22:31:53 +0530
I am a new subscriber to the list and am not yet net savy but I would like
to put this message for general reactions. I am involved in teaching film
making and all the major text books on films starts with the concept of
Continuity as the basis and basics of film making. Continuity may have been
the dominant mode of representation, like the conveyor belt system was but
the times have changed and nowadays the students who are getting initiated
to the craft of film making are exposed to much complex forms of story
telling and it really does not make any sense to start from the imaginary
line but go directly to the point of constructing a shot. Continuity is just
another technique. I would like to reach teachers who are currently engaged
in the task of teaching Film Directions for exchanging notes and discussing
methodologies.
Thanking you
Yours truly

Amaresh Chakraburtty