SCREEN-L Archives

July 2000, Week 5

From:
Melis Behlil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 23:24:58 +0300
There is a 1921 Danish Hamlet with Asta Nielsen in the title role, but
that's not a sound film.  There is also a Turkish film called Angel of
Vengeance (1976), directed by Metin Erksan, where Hamlet is a woman,
portrayed by Fatma Girik, a popular Turkish actress.  Which then results in
Ophelia being a man, named Orhan, and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern being two
young women named Rezzan and Gul (all three quite common Turkish names).
Hamlet is still called Hamlet, though.

Melis Behlil.