SCREEN-L Archives

June 2000, Week 2

Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:48:18 EDT
In a message dated 6/8/00 11:19:10 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:
<<I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that some films which claim to
"preserve the original aspect ratio" intended by the director in some cases
actually achieve their ratios by cropping the video image at the top and
bottom.  This is particularly annoying for those of us who are interested in
seeing the film as it was shown in
theatres.  Two example that come to mind immediately are SCHINDLER'S LIST,
where a comparison of both "letterbox" and full-screen versions clearly
reveals that portions of the frame at top and bottom have been cropped in
order to achieve the "letterbox" effect, and TAXI DRIVER [!!], where a
similar comparison shows similar matting
has taken place!  I know that there are better battles to fight than this
one, so I haven't done anything about it, but it has made me wary of buying
"letterboxed" movies on VHS.>>

I don't know about Taxi Driver since it was shot many years ago, but  I do
know that nowadays many directors are framing their films with the prior
knowledge of both theatrical release and full-screen television. So the
letterboxed version is what showed in original theatrical release and the
full-screen version may not be the director's first preference but an
acceptable one. I do know that Scorsese and Spielberg consider this.

I have to say, that matting has been going on since the first days of wide
screen film and almost all 1:1.66 and 1:1.85 films are matted and meant to be
so. If not, you'd see a lot of mikes hanging down. These days, however,
directors are preferring to create a version that would be acceptable in all
ratios.

If you ask most directors, they prefer the wide-screen, letterboxed version.
"More" information on the screen, isn't always best.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640-0128