SCREEN-L Archives

June 2000, Week 2

Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:00:23 -0500
I was just looking at Borwell & Thompson's _Film Art_ (Fourth Edition),
the basic text for my intro class way back in 1994, and it looks as though
some people need to re-read the chapter on the shot, which goes into great
detail on aspect ratios.

Scott

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Lang Thompson wrote:

> Considering the recent threads this was an odd bit of synchronicity.  One
> of the advertising slides before the movie I saw tonight was from the Group
> for the Integrity of the Image (or something, that can't possibly be their
> correct name) that had a shot/still from "E.T." with some kind of
> rectangular lines around it and a statement like "Ever feel like you're
> missing something?"  This seems to be a pro-letterboxing ad but the strange
> thing is that it's so opaque that I'm still not entirely sure; I really
> wonder whether most filmgoers have any idea what it's about or just think
> they're missing E.T.  (Not to mention the choice of "E.T." instead of a
> film in 2.35.)
>
> LT

> Adventures In Sound
> http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/adventures.htm
>
> Full Alert Film Review
> http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/fafr.htm
>
> Funhouse
> http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/funhouse.htm
>
> "Where Do You Want to Go Today"
> Somewhere you can never take me!
>
> ----
> For past messages, visit the Screen-L Archives:
> http://bama.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html

Scott Andrew Hutchins
http://php.iupui.edu/~sahutchi
Cracks in the Fourth Wall Filmworks/Oz, Monsters, Kamillions, and More!
(with special musical guest Leila Josefowicz)

"Who's John Adams?"  --Vice President Albert Gore, Jr., at Monticello,
after failing to recognize busts of other founding fathers.