SCREEN-L Archives

June 2000, Week 2

From:
Robert Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 08:47:16 EDT
Re: the full-screen version of "A Bug's Life.
This is something of a special case, since Pixar basically "remade" the film
so that all of the elements of the original widescreen image would still be
included in the frame.
I find it quite surprising that a film like "Ronin" would actually add new
visual material for a pan-and-scan version, but perhaps that will become more
common as time goes on.
Finally, a question.. The DVD of "Eyes Wide Shut" declares that the film is
in a full-screen format (as Mr. Kubrick intended"....but when I saw it in
theatres I'm sure it was projected in 1:85 (just like every other non-scope
film). Does anyone know if projectionists were given instructions to show it
at 1:66?
(My experience has been that many theatres aren't even capable of projecting
anything except 1:85 and 2:35...)
R. Hunt