SCREEN-L Archives

June 2000, Week 2

Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:52:46 EDT
In a message dated 6/12/00 7:36:17 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< My own approach in cases where the ratio is not indicated on the cans or
head leaders and there is no 1:1.85 hard matte is to run a rehearsal
screening in 1:1.66 with the racking set quite low and observe (i) how much
dead space there is at the top of the frame, and (ii) whether any boom
mikes are visible. From this information I then decide whether to show the
film in 1:1.66, 1:1.75 or 1:1.85 on the basis of what appears to look like
the most consistent framing. I know this sounds hit and miss but if the
studios aren't willing to tell you what ratio they want their films shown
in (as is the case in at least 80% of new releases), then the only option
left is guesswork. >>

Well, you're absolutely right on everything you say and the problems that are
surrounding proper projection. We have the luxury of calling the director and
asking him the proper aspect ratio (and then we put it in our press kit, our
film catalogs and our website) so the projectionist hopefully will be told by
the programmer.

Unfortunately, we've tried labeling the leaders, the reel bands and the ICC
cases, but then after a year of release with the theaters and nontheatrical
venues (I won't blame projectionists since it's not always them) changing and
replacing these elements at whim, it becomes more problematical to do this
than not. (I have phone calls from projectionists asking why the leader of
TABU says its cinemascope.) It would be nice if the DGA, MPAA or NATO or
someone else would have a database that projectionists could click on to.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640-0128