SCREEN-L Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
David Skreiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 12:48:02 +0200
Hello,

DVDs are region coded into regions 1 thru 6. USA is Code 1,
Europe and Japan are Code 2, and so on. Players will
not play DVDs which have the "wrong" region code.

There are ways around this:
a) Try to get a code-free DVD player
b) Try to find programs that reset the region code for
a computer DVD drive
c) Find a DVD player with a "hidden feature" that allows the
region code to be reset or set to Zero (=code free)
d) Buy a player for every region code you want to play :-)
e) Find a talented electronics guru to remove the region
lock and hope the player still works when he's finished
with it.

You could try http://www.codefreedvd.com/ for code free
players (I haven't tried out their shop though, they're
not exactly very cheap AFAIK).

There was a legal fight about the various utility
programs that can change the DVD region set in a
computer DVD drive - these programs may be a bit hard
to find.

Check out DVD news web sites, some of them
collect information on which players can be set to
Code 0 manually (usually using key combinations).

David Skreiner
Editor, DVD-Home

PS Good DVD FAQ:
http://www.dvdreview.com/faq/dvdfaq.shtml