SCREEN-L Archives

May 2000, Week 3

Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 17:14:07 -0500
Here is what my brother says.  I wouldn't necessarily take him to be an
authority, though...

Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 16:12:14 -0500
From: Jim Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Code Free DVD

Scott,

Simple.

Many countries in Europe and Asia have few if any intellectual property
(copyright) laws.  It is perfectly legal (or close enough) for people in
those countries to buy a DVD, CD, or video tape, or other copyrighted work,
duplicate it, and sell as many copies as they can.  Many of those people now
do so and sell to customers via the Internet or through intermediaries.
While that is illegal, it is very difficult to stop.  It is unlikely for a
US prosecutor to be able to obtain an extradition warrant for a citizen of
another country on a charge relating to a minor property crime.  Not only is
there the question of the legality of the request, there is the question of
the extreme cost.

By selling only discs that cannot be played on the vast majority of players
sold in the US, in countries without adequate protection for intellectual
property holders, many of the pirates in those countries have lost the
ability to acquire source material from which to make their copies.  Thus
[some] piracy has been prevented.

Your challenge has been met.  I win.

Jim