SCREEN-L Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 13:59:55 -0500
Rob King wonders:

> i've been wondering - is there any evidence for a 'crime on broadway'
genre in operation within B movies of the 30s to 50s? I've got some
titles - Two o'clock courage, Dr. Broadway, Just off broadway, broadway
musketeers - but would be interested if anyone knows of any others. Any
ideas on how Damon Runyon fits into it all?

I don't know about a genre--but the notion of Broadway as a denizen of
gangsters, gamblers and others has been around at least since Runyon's
day (GUYS AND DOLLS is the most obvious point of film/stage
connection).  The finale of 42ND STREET is another obvious connection.
One actor with more than a few rumors about his own past--George Raft--
exploits them in a supposedly autobiographical BROADWAY (1942).
BLOODHOUNDS OF BROADWAY, from a Runyon story, might be of interest.
CHARLEY CHAN ON BROADWAY certain would fit into your category.

You might find connections with radio shows of the 1930s as well.

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson
Minnesota State U, Mankato