SCREEN-L Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
David Skreiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 15:22:43 +0200
[log in to unmask] wrote:
>  Does anyone know if the DVD players at
> codefreedvd.com are legal?  My brother thinks they aren't.

I think the company is located in the UK, but I'm not sure. You
might break a few laws importing these modified ("chipped") players
to the USA. America, Land of the Lawsuit... :-)

>  Are there any legal code free players cheaper than the
> $950 including shipping of their cheapest?

One option would be the Yamakawa Avphile 715 - our DVD magazine
ran a review of the machine, which apparently can be easily set to
code 0. It should cost around US$ 250 (DM 500), and can even play
MP3 files from CD-Rom. However, audio and video quality are
not exactly high-fidelity, and you may have to get a firmware
update from your electronics dealer to play the Matrix DVD.

Manufacturer Homepage:
http://www.raite.com.tw/

MP3.com review:
http://hardware.mp3.com/hardware/individual/home/2383.html