SCREEN-L Archives

May 2000, Week 1

From:
Matt McAllister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 17:32:51 -0500
Hi everyone,

One very detailed source that's great for US TV broadcast network primetime
programming is Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh, _The Complete Directory to Prime
Time Network and Cable TV Shows, 1946-present_, Ballantine Books.  (The
Seventh edition just came out, but many libraries have the 6th edition,
published in 1995).  Amazon.Com lists the book for under $20, so it may be
a good investment.

This book is loaded with programming data, including the network primetime
schedules for every year from 1946 to the present (or, at least as recent
as the edition you have), and lists of Emmy winners and Top Rated programs
by year.  It also has a synopsis of each program ever aired on primetime
network broadcast US TV, as well as a brief narrative history of US TV.
When I teach TV or Media Studies, I refer to it often.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

>Hi all,
>I am studying TV$RADIO at Brooklyn College in NYC.
>I need your help to find some information or ideas in recent television
>programing difference from 1950s or 60s.
>It's good to know it's /their content, scheduling, marketing,critical
>reception, and generic characteristics in regards to its/their overall
>placement and significance in the history of broadcasting.
>
>Since I have been in this country only for 2yeaars... so, this assignment is
>kind of hard for me to do it.
>
>any information would help me..
>
>thank you all
>
>Sung

Matt McAllister  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Department of Communication Studies, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA  24061-0311 USA  ph: 540-231-9830  fax: 540-231-9817