SCREEN-L Archives

May 2000, Week 1

From:
Scott Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 10:59:47 -0400
I think that the 'Something Wild' article may be Cameron Bailey's
"Nigger/Lover - The Thin Sheen of Race in 'Something Wild'' from 'Screen',
vol 29 , no. 4, Autumn 1988.
    An article I've found useful in dealing with some of the history and
development of 'hip-hop' culture is Tricia Rose's piece "A Style Nobody Can
Deal With: Politics, Style and the Postindustrial City in Hip Hop". It
doesn't deal so much with appropriation, but the the codes and meanings
identified by Rose link very clearly to what it is that is being
appropriated. The article is in the collection 'Microphone Fiends; Youth
Music and Youth Culture' edited by Andrew Ross and Tricia Rose (Routledge
1994) Henry Giroux's work has also addressed some of these issues, notably
the "borrowing" found in Larry Clark's 'Kid's' in an article entitled
"Teenage Sexuality, Body Politics, and the Pedagogy of Display" found in the
book 'Youth Culture: Identity in a Postmodern World', edited by Jonathon
Epstein (Blackwell Publishers 1998).

Scott

Scott Henderson
Communications, Popular Culture and Film
Brock University
St. Catharines, Ontario