SCREEN-L Archives

April 2000, Week 1

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 19:50:46 -0400
>A final note....I notice that when TCM shows Cinerama movies, they don't
>letterbox the frama to the full 4:1 format....Just once I'd like to see them
>air something in that form so I could show my students how the process
worked/

Here's a more-or-less official response from TCM (I work freelance and
contacted a programming VP).  "IP" is interpositive.  I think the title
that he's discussing is "How the West Was Won" which we show fairly often
though TCM has also shown "Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm."  These
are the only two fiction films shot in true Cinerama:

Our current video transfer is from 35mm scope reduction IP made by MGM in
the 70's. The reason it is not a 4x1 Letterbox is beacause the image on the
35mm IP is 2.35x1. At this time we don't have it in our budget to do a film
restoration on this title. Warner Bros. is anticipating new work on this
title in the next 5 years as digital film & video technologies improve.
Right now the cost is too prohibitive.

Full Alert Film Review
http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/fafr.htm

Funhouse