SCREEN-L Archives

April 2000, Week 1

Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 10:34:19 EDT
Dear Daniel,

There hasn't been much written on this film except for Leyda. When we did our
research on Kalatozov and I AM CUBA for our press kit (which you can download
at <A HREF="http://www.milestonefilms.com">http://www.milestonefilms.com</A>),
 I didn't find much on his early days in Russian or English, at that time. (I
think I have some now in Russian, but it was given to me by another student
through a friend, and I'd have to get permission to loan it out).

At the same time, you might want to talk with Sasha Calzatti in Los Angeles.
He was the assistant cameraman on I AM CUBA and Mikhail told him many stories
of the old days. (Some of them fairly scandalous that I couldn't put them in
the press kit without collaboration.) As importantly, Sasha's father was a
fairly well-known and respected cameraman in the old days and Sasha's teacher
was Edoard Tisse. His phone number is (323) 935-7864.

Kalatozov also wrote a book about his days in Hollywood that was published in
Russia in the late 40s. It might have some info there, though I would doubt
he could or would write about the earlier films that got him in trouble with
the government. If you find the book, make me a xerox copy!

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video