SCREEN-L Archives

March 2000, Week 4

From:
"Pizzato, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:51:08 -0500
Take a look at Shakespeare (whatever film versions you like):
Macbeth
Iago/Othello
Richard III

Or for evil heroines, in Shakespearean, ancient Greek, and modern European
theatre:
Lady Macbeth
Medea
Hedda Gabler

Evil heroines also appear in some films:
Carrie
the lady vampires in THE HUNGER

But I agree that most films with evil characters are melodramas, with the
evil one as villain, while the plays listed above are tragedies, with
protagonists who are both good and evil.

mp

Mark Pizzato
Asst. Professor
Dept. of Dance and Theatre