SCREEN-L Archives

March 2000, Week 4

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 02:56:31 +0000
>Evan Rosenfield wrote:
>
>Isn't an evil hero impossible?

If we define a hero as being the character with whom the film-maker(s)
intends the viewer to most readily empathise with, then a lot of Fritz
Lang's films explore this issue, albeit with similar parameters in mind.
Three which come readily to mind are...

Part 2 of DIE NIEBELUNGEN in which Kriemhild gets up to some pretty nasty
tricks,, most of which she justifies as avenging Siegfried's murder... (cf.
the recent 'evil women' thread)

M - could the paedophile murderer be regarded as a 'hero' (in the context
of the film's narrative) on the grounds that he is apprehended by a gang of
organised criminals? Most cinemagoers (even in late-Weimar Germany) would
surely prefer the rule of law (which is shown, in the form of the police
inspector, as being somewhat incapable of ruling) over the rule of
self-appointed vigilantes, who are also criminals? Could it be said that
the Peter Lorre character is depicted as a hero on the basis of who he is
up against?

BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT - we don't want the Dana Andrews character to be
executed despite the fact that he quite clearly murdered his ex-wife.

Leo Enticknap
Flat 3, 36 Clifton
York YO30 6AW
Tel. 01904 673207 (home); 0410 417383 (mobile)

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite