SCREEN-L  March 2000, Week 3

SCREEN-L March 2000, Week 3

Re: Hong Kong Cinema

Tony Crean <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:21:11 GMT

You might like to look at
http://www.sfxavier.ac.uk/sfxhtml/LA%20Faculty/film.htm#HK
which lists links I referred students to last Summer. The book I used
(excellent) is Stephen Teo's Hong Kong Cinema (BFI 1997). Hong Kong Babylon
(about 1995), by Frederick Dannen, started as a New Yorker Article, August
7, 1995); the first half is an overview (I downloaded it from somewhere on
the net); the second half includes various lists of the best HK films, and
comments on individual films. There is a more recent book which has had good
reviews, called (I think) City on Fire, by two authors. And I think there is
a very recent book on John Woo.There is also a POST SCRIPT SPECIAL ISSUE
(VOL. 19, NO. 1) DEVOTED TO HONG KONG CINEMA.The issue contains essays on
topics of both historical and contemporary relevance, and includes
considerations of current production, distribution, and marketing trends
within the SAR movie industry, discussions of the multiple global audiences
for Hong Kong movies, analyses of thematic and stylistic issues raised by
recent films and filmmakers, and historiographical critiques of significant
artistic, social, and political trends.
Here is an incomplete list of films I came across, most of which I saw:
Wong Kar-Wai - Days of Being Wild; *Fallen Angels; *Happy Together,
*Chungking Express;
John Woo - *Bullet in the Head; *Better Tomorrow 2; *The Killer, *Face/Off;
*Hard Boiled; *Broken Arrow
Ringo Lam Ling-Tung - City on Fire; *Burning Paradise.
Ching Sui Tung - *Chinese Ghost Story
*On the Run; God of Gamblers; ; *Rouge (Stanley Kwan?);
Better Tomorrow/ Heroes Shed no Tears; Beyond the Law; Cinema of Vengeance;
(Bruce Lee) Game of Death; (Bruce Lee) Fist of Fury 2; (Jackie Chan) Dragons
Forever; Jackie Chan's First Strike; Jackie Chan The Prisoner; Jackie Chan
My Story; Jackie Chan Heart of Dragon; Hard-Boiled; Hard Boiled 2.
Shogun Assassin (Martial Arts); Tsui Hark Zu - Warriors of Magic Mountain
(fantasy).

Books on this topic are scarce. Journal articles are more useful.
List follows. Of particular interest = * or **
BIBLIOGRAPHY
1. * Browne, Pickowicz, Sobchack and Yau (eds.), New Chinese Cinemas: Forms,
Identities, Politics, (Cambridge:  Cambridge University Press, 1996).
2. Dannen, Fredric and Barry Long, Hong Kong Babylon, (London:  Faber and
Faber, 1997).
3. * Teo, Stephen, Hong Kong Cinema:  The Extra Dimensions, (London:  BFI
Publishing, 1997).
JOURNAL ARTICLES
1.      Charity, Tom, 'Hong Kong Phewy', in Time Out, August/September 1995, pp
14-15.
2.      Dargis, Manohla, 'Do You Like John Woo?', in Sight and Sound, 7/9
(September 1997), pp.10-12.
3.      Doyle, Chris and Tony Rayns, 'To the End of the World', in Sight and
Sound, 7/5 (May 1997), pp 14-17.
4.      Gross, Larry, 'Nonchalant Grace', in Sight and Sound, 6/9 (September
1996), pp. 6-10.
5.      Jameson, Frederic, 'Dissecting the Visual Artistry of Wong Kar-wai', in
Hong Kong Film Connection, 3/5 (1996), pp. 8-12 & 25.
6.      Morrison, Susan, 'La Haine, Fallen Angels, and Some Thoughts on
Scorsese's Children', in CineAction, December 1995, p44-50.
7.      Rayns, Tony, 'Diexue Shuang Xiong (The Killer)' in Monthly Film Bulletin,
September 1990, pp. 260-261.
8.      Reynaud, Berenice, 'John Woo's Art Action Movie', in Sight and Sound, 3/5
(May 1993), pp. 22-24.
9.      ** Stringer, Julian, 'Your Tender Smiles give me Strength: Paradigms of
Masculinity in John Woo's A Better Tomorrow and The Killer', in Screen, 38/1
(Spring 1997), pp. 25-41.
10.     Wong Kar-wai and Tony Rayns, 'Poet of Time', in Sight and Sound, 5/6
(June 1995), pp. 12-16.
11.     Wong Kar-wai and Richard Williams, 'King Kong', in The Guardian Review,
April 10 1998, pp 6-7.
12.     Woo, John and Tom Charity, 'Shooting Star', in Time Out, October 1993,
pp 18-19.
13.     Woo, John and Trevor Johnston, 'Face Value', in Time Out, November 1997,
p24.
14.     Woo, John, 'John Woo in Interview', in Sight and Sound, 3/5 (May 1993),
p25.
15. Yacowar, Maurice, 'An Expatriate's Film: Facing Face/Off', in Queen's
Quarterly, 104/3 (Autumn 1997), pp 469-477.

Hope this is useful