SCREEN-L Archives

March 2000, Week 2

From:
Simon Sigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 10:10:08 +1300
I'm preparing a course on Hong Kong action cinema for the Summer School at Auckland University. This is the first time I've done such a thing and would appreciate any suggestions you might make. I'm thinking of taking an 'auteurist' approach, looking at the work of Tsui Hark, Ringo Lam and John Woo. Does anybody know if Stanley Tong falls into that category? Is there anybody else? The city itself would obviously play some role inasmuch as it's an enclosed place, both geographically, in being 'cut-off' from the mainland and physically, in that there's not much open ground in Hong Kong. Does anybody know of any recent books on this cinema?

Many thanks,

Simon Sigley
Centre for Film, TV & Media Studies
University of Auckland