SCREEN-L Archives

March 2000, Week 1

From:
Effie Rassos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 19:08:08 +1100
Gregory,

I would also suggest looking at Jean Rouch/Edgar Morin's _CHRONIQUE D'UN
ETE_ ('Chronicle of a Summer': France, 1961) as an example that illuminates
the blurring of the boundaries around and between reality and fiction,
actor and character (along with the Cassavetes films). Morin's interviews
with Marilou are particularly interesting. Also the Jean-Louis Comolli
essay 'Le detour par le direct' in _Realism and the Cinema_ (ed.
Christopher Williams) might likewise help you think about performance and
its virtuality, where by the performance of/by the subject problematises
the boundary between the conscious act of performing and the performance
generated by the documentary.

Effie Rassos