SCREEN-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

From:
Mark Bahlin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 07:58:05 +1030
I am sorry, but your suspicions are correct. Any footage shot is only as
good as the camera which is the primary source. Putting the feeds from S-VHS
cameras through a digital camera may help by converting the analogue video
into digital (removing any further degradation, providing it stays in
digital format) but it will still look like S-VHS.

I do a similar thing at the school where I work. I only have S-VHS cameras
at the moment, but by digitsing the footage into a computer and editing
using Premiere, I have managed to create programs that look like first
generation S-VHS.

I guess the old adage about film and video making comes into force here - if
you are willing to spend some money in the right areas - then it will
benefit your production work. 3 or 4 good 3CCD digital video cameras will
give your work a lift, as opposed to 6 or 7 inferior quality S-VHS cameras.

I hope this helps!

Mark

Greetings,
I have recently began working with a small video production company.
The owner has limited knowledge of video equipment.
In order to save money, one of the employees has suggested using
one digital camera (with 3 CCDs) and several SVHS cameras.
He believes that if we use the digital camera like a mixer and plug all
of the SVHS cameras into it, then the quality of the finished product
will be that of the digital camera.

I am worried that the footage shot on the SVHS cameras will not be of the
same quality as the digital camera (the quality that we need).

Any information would be greatly appreciated,
Steven Sharma

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite