SCREEN-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

From:
Ira Joel Haber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:58:18 EST
The Oscars are a joke, and rarely ever give the awards to important films and
performances. Look how Magnolia was ignored. This was without a doubt the
best film of the year, an altogether challenging film full of many wonderful
moments and performances. But Anderson isn't a linear filmmaker, and probably
gave all those old farts that sit on the Academy an apoplexy. Frogs falling
out of the sky,characters breaking out into song, and what the hell was that
opening about. I'm waiting to see what they are going to do with Hillary
Swank, who gave one of the great performances of  all time, let alone this
year. Lets not forget that this is the group that gave that nice little tv
actress Helen Hunt an Oscar for a bad sitcom movie,so what does it mean or
matter. I'm sure Washington will get the Oscar over the more subtle finer
Russell Crowe, and the impossibly awful Angelina Jolie will get a nod for
playing crazy. I would love to see the luminous Chloe Sevigny win, but again
too low keyed for them. They want to see where their Oscars are going, and
they can see crazy. Also no doubt that Tom Cruise will get the supporting
actor Oscar. They also love when big movie stars play against type, and Tommy
boy took chances twice this year. My choice would be Phillip Seymour Hoffman
for Magnolia & The Talented Mr. Ripley, but he wasn't even nominated, but
happily neither was Christopher Plummer for playing Jason Robard Oh I mean
Mike Wallace in The Insider. Best Picture will go to American Beauty which is
tangy but not too spicy, and its politically correct too.

Ira Joel Haber
Cinemage Books