SCREEN-L Archives

February 2000, Week 1

Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 12:54:20 EST
Some of these early Michael Powell films have shown in the US recently such
as "His Lordship" (one of my favorites of his Quota Quickies) at the Syracuse
Cinefest last year and in archival showings at UCLA, MoMA and UCLA; but the
British Film Institute is still clearing up who owns the rights so
distribution is on a holding pattern.

Although Powell always (loudly) groaned when a new QQ was discovered, there
are several I (and others) consider to be imaginative and delightful.

Powell considered the real start of his creative career to be Edge of the
World which is why we spent some years in acquiring it as a posthumous
tribute to his wish to have it distributed.

But I would definitely say that the Quota Quickies are definitely worth
seeing and writing about. Think of them as a young Powell in the raw. At
times, he took remarkable strides (and risks) in films that couldn't have
taken more than a month or two to make from start to finish. At other times,
he can see him going through the paces.

Back issues of Sight & Sound have carried articles about these and they have
been written about every now and then when they have premiered at the London
Film Fest and National Film Theatre showings. And of course, the BFI has had
many champions of these earlier works including Clyde Jeavons, David Meeker,
Ian Cristie (Powell's biggest supporter) and others.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video