SCREEN-L Archives

January 2000, Week 4

From:
Robert Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 19:27:06 EST
While I don't know what Spike Lee actually said (and I thought he'd mellowed
of late),  Heston needs no help in making a fool of himself. I thought he'd
actually bring the NRA around to reason on a few points, but he's just as
wacky as any of their earlier leaders. here in Missouri, we recently had a
referendum on the ballot to remove prohibitions against carrying concealed
weapons. Needless to say, Heston and the NRA came to town, outspent their
opponents by about 400% and lost anyway.... Heston ran an ad in which he
cited his  experience in the civil rights movement as proof of his
humanity....if you ask me, anyone who can  invoke the name of Martin Luther
King in a commercial favoring  handguns is just plain evil.... (He also cited
the murder of Matthew Shepherd as a case that might have been avoided if the
victim had been armed..
(This was last spring, just a few weeks before he suggested that it would
have been a good thing if the guards at Columbine H.S. had been carrying
guns. Apparently his solution to any crisis is  crossfire....)

R. Hunt