SCREEN-L Archives

January 2000, Week 3

From:
Kelley Crouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:38:08 -0500
Greetings

Announcing a new discussion list and website resource for
media-culture-politics!

PULP CULTURE WEB  RESOURCE

The Pulp Culture Collective is developing a web resource for scholars using
the web to explore the nexus of  theory/research/praxis in media and
cultural studies.  Theory here is broadly understood to encompass a range
of thinkers --from Suzie Bright to Habermas to Zizek.  Our pages devoted to
individual theorists aren't merely "links to sites on the net," but are
organized links to biography, bibliography, research archives,
webliography,  interviews, teaching resources, organizations/institutes.

We hope to provide, eventually, a fully annotated guide to
theory/research/praxis on the internet.
We also recommend our Habermas pages at
http://www.flash.net/~oudies/habermas.htm.  We are also currently working
on pages for Slavoj Zizek and Slovenian School Theory pages.

If you would like to let us know about your site or about a mailing list,
please write us at [log in to unmask] Below, we have also
included information about our associated mailing list, Pulp Culture, that
might be of interest as well.

We have included, below, information about the Pulp Culture Mailing List
which you might find interesting.

Thank you,
Ken Mackendrick
Kirsten Nielsen
Jordan Hayes

*  Sex positive feminism and analyses of women in the media
*  Politics and Porn
*  Film Studies v. Cultural Studies
*  The University of Toronto Teaching Assistant Strike
*  A slowly percolating discussion of Butler's _The Psychic Life of Power_
[offset by the strike!]

The above are just a taste of the conversations crystallizing at Pulp
Culture.  What is Pulp Culture?

PULP (pulp)  n. 1. the fleshy, succulent part of  fruit; 2. any soft,
formless substance, as of disintegrated matter, esp. wood fiber used for
making paper.  v.  to squeeze,  press,  knead.

CULTURE (kul-chur) n.  1.  a society or group characterized by its
distinctive practices, customs, beliefs; 2. an appreciation for art,
literature, music;  3. improvement by care or training in a special
environment.

PULP CULTURE:   to press, squeeze, knead, or shape the juicy, fleshy,
succulent bits of culture, media, and politics.

Pulp Culture is an e-mail discussion list and (eventually) 'zine focusing
on critical engagements
with and analyses of media/culture/politics. From the fleshy, sweet acidity
and pulpy bits of popular media/culture to the tough, bitter rind of
Culture to the tendinous fibers of the political economy, we want to "pulp
culture" from a variety of critical, practical and theoretical
perspectives. Our aim,
as well, is the reconstruction of theory. That is, we want to "pulp theory"
in order to interrogate its presuppositions and to examine the conditions
of its possibility. Discussions at Pulp Culture, then, are intended as
interventions  in the terrain of ongoing theoretical, cultural and
ideological-political
struggles inherent in the production/consumption of media/culture in all
its forms.

To join the fun and fray and to explore the fissures at Pulp Culture send a
subscription message to:

In the body of the message type, subscribe pulp-culture.

Please note that Pulp Culture is an active list with 50-150 posts per day.
There's a lot of energy, excitement, argument --but most of all
good-natured camaraderie and fun.  You may prefer to receive to the digest
version, even so.  If you'd like the daily digest version type,  subscribe
pulp-culture-digest in the body of a message sent to

To learn more about Pulp Culture check out the rind at
http://www.flash.net/~oudies/pulp_culture.htm

See you at Pulp!

Ken Mackendrick, University of Toronto
Kirsten Nielsen, Infothecary.org