SCREEN-L Archives

May 1992

Date:
Mon, 25 May 1992 14:43:33 BST

> > Perhaps some of the screenplays of Dennis Potter fit the bill?
>
>     Can you give me a good example, John?

In the light of the discussion that has been going on during the
weekend, I am now less than sure that Potter is a good example.  It's not
that BLACKEYES does not deploy a battery of devices intended to make the
familiar in melodrama strange.  This it did to the considerable discomfort
of a great part of the British audience.  But it did so, in my opinion,
to make psychological rather than political points.  The audience is not
explicitly addressed.  The fourth wall bends, but does it break?

If you had asked about cinema, I'd have said Jean-Luc Godard;  but as I
have not seen the work he did for television, I cannot add his name.

Nobody has said anything in this discussion about documentary.  Is that
because documentary cannot by definition be Brechtian, or...?

Good wishes

John Izod