SCREEN-L Archives

June 1996, Week 1

From:
Michael Plott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 11:47:47 -0400
Judging from some of the most recent posts in this list, I probably shouldn't
be a subscriber.  I have no degree in film and I do not usually look for some
deep meaning, philosophy or message in any film I view.

Film, to me, for the most part is simply another means of
recreation---similar to reading a book.   I subscribed to this list with the
intention of simply lurking and seing what other people had to say regarding
film and the business of making films, and in that context I suppose I am not
annoying anyone with my ignorance (until now).

So....if my following question is too simple or derives from ignorance of
such magnitude that it offends those with extensive film educations, please
forgive me.

Why did the movie Ishtar fail?

I thought it moved slowly the first time I saw it, which led me to think
perhaps it should have been edited differently.  However, after seeing
several times, I have begun to think of it as an excellent movie.  Much of
the humor is (to my uneducated mind, anyway) sort of like British
humor-----understated and unemphasized, yet *absolutely* funny, provided that
you pay attention.

I appreciate any responses anyone cares to give and again I ask indulgence if
my query is too elementary for some.
Mike